During the second year of the project:
• We plan to construct the first Quantitative Structure Activity Relationship models. These models will be used to guide rational drug design of novel more potent GDNF mimetics.
• We will design, synthesize or purchase improved GDNF mimetics.
• We will continue working with newly identified GDNF mimetics testing their Mode of Action and ability to support DA neurons.
• Studies of the first generation of GDNF mimetics in an animal model of PD will be completed.
• Early stage researchers from Molcode Ltd will visit Helsinki to get training in biological techniques.
• Experienced researchers will be recruited by both partners.